Thursday, February 01, 2007

Fucking for Sport: A Hallow Desire


Is it desire that propels us from one stranger’s arms to another? Transforming desire into a workable philosophy of living is exhausting. In fact, doing so involves many late night trysts with foreigners, something I’d be hard-pressed to avoid.

Ever notice how the anticipation of the touch is always better than the actual touch? Absence is greeted with a warmer response than presence. In initiating the mystery, I often contemplated, is this desire?

A man once told me that I asked too many questions. I spent the next three years punishing him for it. When I walked by him and looked through him like a ghost, I wondered, is this desire?

A smiling devil once left my house with my virginity in his back pocket, and I locked myself in a room for days without food. When I purged him from my body, I asked, is this desire?

At 4:30 a.m. during a summer rain storm, I ran outside barefoot with raw knees and a sore mouth. And when I left him, he went home to his girlfriend. After I was inside drying, the thought crossed my mind, is this desire?

I wore a fabulous little black dress when I tied a handsome 21 year-old young thing to my bed post. Arms spread and stomach flat, I grabbed the whip. Red faced and skin glowing, I questioned, is this desire?

The question itself is rhetorical, an answer is not required.
I could go on asking myself this indefinitely, but it’s hard to think when the blood rushes in.

"Is This Desire?" – PJ Harvey

Joseph walked on and on
The sunset went down and down
Coldness cooled their desire
And Dawn said, 'Let's build a fire'
The sun dressed the trees in green
And Joe said, 'I feel like a King'
And Dawn's neck and her feet were bare
Sweetness in her golden hair
Said, 'I am not scared'
Turned to her and smiled
Secrets in his eyes
Sweetness of desire
Is this desire
Enough enough
To lift us higher
To lift above?
Hour-long, by hour, may we two stand
when we're dead, between these lands
The sun set behind his eyes
And Joe said, 'Is this desire?'
Is this desire
Enough enough
To lift us higher
To lift above?
Is this desire
Enough enough
Enough inside
Is this desire?

No comments: